Monday, March 27, 2017

Henrik Turns Two

Henrik's 2nd Birthday didn't go quite as planned.

The days leading up to his Birthday, Hanley started to get sick with a little cough and later developed a low fever.  He seemed mostly okay so I wasn't too worried about him.  Henrik's 2 year check-up appointment arrived and I called the Dr. to let them know that I could still bring Henrik to his well baby check but that Hanley was sick and I had no choice but to bring him with us. If they didn't want a sick kid in, then I needed to re-schedule Henrik's appointment.  The receptionist told me to keep Henrik's appointment and the Dr. would see Hanley at the same time.  I agreed, although I really didn't think Hanley needed to see the Dr.  He didn't seem that sick and I assumed the Dr. would just says its viral and that the virus just needed to run its course.

When we arrived to the appointment our Dr. checked Hanley out first and to my surprise, he had "walking pneumonia".  Then it was Henrik's turn.  By this time, he had started to develop a cough but was otherwise fine. He checked out fine with healthy stats and clear lungs. So, we left the office with two stickers and a prescription of antibiotics.

We headed to Fred Meyers to fill the prescription, grab a few groceries and headed home for lunch.  As I was making lunch, Henrik was a total mess. Cranky as ever. I thought he was just "hangry" and was honestly just frustrated with him. When I finally placed his lunch in front of him, he pushed it away and said "Mommy's lap." That's when it hit me.  He was sick too.  I took his temperature to confirm it.  Yup. Two sick kids.

The antibiotics kicked in and Hanley was feeling better within days but Henrik was still sick. He ended up back at the Dr.'s office on his Birthday and ended up on antibiotics as well.  I felt absolutely horrible that we had to cancel his birthday but I kept reminding myself that at his age, he really didn't know the difference.



Henrik's 2 Year Stats:

Height: 34 inches (41%)
Weight: 23 lbs, 6 oz (5%)
Head: 19 3/4 inches (85%)


At 2 Year's old...

-Favorite Toy: Any kind of Ball

-Favorite Sport: He loves all sports involving a ball but I would say its a close tie between T-Ball and "Hoop Ball".



-Favorite Color: Blue. Which causes a problem at home when big brother's favorite color is blue as well. They both want the blue plate, blue cup, blue ball, etc... Its a bit ridiculous.

-Favorite Foods: Cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese.

-Favorite Book: We're Going on a Bear Hunt. He calls it the "uh-oh book" and we read it before nap time and bedtime every day.

-New words: "Love you","now", "new", "Hanley"... So many new words lately! His vocabulary is really starting to take off in recent weeks. I keep thinking I should make a list of how many words he's saying but if I were to guess I would say its somewhere between 60-75 words.

-Sentence Structure: He's starting to put 3-4 words together and unfortunately for Hanley, he's beginning to be capable of telling on his big brother.   Last week, I ran upstairs to grab something and Henrik came up soon after me saying "Hanley. Hanley take. Take blue wa-wa (water)." So, Hanley got busted for taking the blue water bottle away from Henrik. A couple days prior to that he noticed Hanley's shoes and said "Hanley new shoes". And one of my favorite things he says is when he tells Helga "no way ma'am!".

-He loves to give Daddy "double pats".

-He loves to walk down to the horses. It's his favorite spot in the neighborhood.



-He loves to "ride" his tricycle on our walks.  Last week, he took a pretty big spill on his bike racing big brother down the hill. Thank God he had his helmet on otherwise it could have been a horrible outcome.  That was by far not my best parenting moment.

-He will steal your nose and throw it away pretty much after every kiss.

-Oma and Opa got him a big boy bed for his birthday, so he ditched the toddler bed for his new twin bed.

-He has a love-hate relationship with Helga.



-He tries to copy everything Hanley does.

-He is extremely coordinated and athletic for his age.

-I have to remind him to say "please" on a regular basis but he never forgets to say "thank you."

-He still uses sign language even though he speaks the words.

-He does NOT like to wear a coat.  He will unzip it and take it off anytime I try to put one on him.  So, the best I can do is put a sweater on him.  It's not the best way to keep him warm but at least I know he wont take it off.

-When getting dressed, he likes to pick out his shirts and socks. He only wants to wear shirts with a ball on them and socks that are blue.

-He will snuggle with me for about 30 minutes in the morning and after nap but otherwise, he's pretty much on the go.



We absolutely love our little man.  It's hard to believe that he's already 2 years old! It's really hit me this week how big he's getting and how we are quickly phasing out of the baby stage which honestly makes me sad. These feelings of sadness make me wonder...is this how people end up with 3 kids?!

No comments:

Post a Comment